Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Entry 6: Final Reflection

           The Glass Castle was everything I expected. From all the great reviews and high remarks I read about the book, it met my high standards. The writing style varies through the book, as sometimes Walls is very descriptive and other times very vague. At first I thought the font was really going to bother me, but after a while I realized what really mattered was what it was saying so if I focused on that, it was fine. At first I didn’t think I would enjoy memoirs, but the way Jeanette broke it up, I really enjoyed it. She split up every story in to different sections so you knew when one chapter was finished and the next began. This book was not only fascinating but an insight to a life very different to mine.
            I found the ending satisfying. Although it had to end in the death of her father, the approach Jeanette took was good. She gave us just enough details to know what happened but still left some details out so you can’t feel totally complete. When an author does that, it lets the reader have their own take on what they think happened. I was very sad when her father died but the close bond between them couldn’t be written in words. I could feel the connection between them as father asks “Hey. Have I ever let you down?...I just smiled. And then I closed the door. “(279). This brought tears to my eyes because that phrase summed up their relationship and in a way they were tears of joy. If those were the last words they had together, at least it was meaningful.

                                                                                    Word Count: 278 words

No comments:

Post a Comment