Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Entry 3: Emotional Reaction

         Throughout this memoir Rex Walls, Jeanettes father is one of the main characters. I have grown very fond of him and his intelligence and gratitude toward his family. One part that stands out was when he is dying. At the end of the book Rex recites, "It's now or never. The fact is, I'm dying" (278). This really touches me because death is something really tough to deal with. The way Jeanette describes and records the conversation between her father and her really got to me. Throughout the pages 278-291 she describes her last words with her father. I have not luckily had to go through an emotional state like this but it hurts. The last words Jeanette Walls had with her father are the repetitive words "have I ever let you down" (279). This time Jeanette reacts differently then usually and just smiles. This is anaphora throughout the book, a phrase repeated and since she reacts differently it plays a significance. This significance is to set a tone of sorrow and finality. My reaction towards these few pages is honestly that is makes me upset and leaves me thinking what was it like for Jeanette? How did it feel to one day, after a few years come and find out your dad is dying? This part leaves me with some closing questions and sort of wishing that Jeanette could have expanded slightly of the last days with her father. Jeanette writes, "I had this crazy urge to scoop him up in my arms and charger through the doors- to check out Rex Walls- style one last time. Instead I took his hand.. An hour later, they turned the machines off" (280). My reaction towards this passage can't be written in words. I think that the way she puts together all of these ideas was perfect. These pages together rap up everything Walls talks about throughout the memoir and leaves a lasting remark.

                                                                                     Word Count: 323 words

No comments:

Post a Comment